“The Eagle Cottage” was built at the turn of the century by Captain F. J. Magle who ran a small steamboat “The American Eagle.”
In 1946 Walter and Mary Laskowski purchased the structure and renamed it “The Friendly Inn.” The Laskowskis managed it as a rooming house. They cooked meals for their guests in the kitchen which is now located where the dance floor, stage and sitting area are. Their dining room is now the main part of the lounge. Walter and Mary’s bedroom was the present computer room upstairs. Although the building did not have central heating, the Laskowskis took in ice fisherman during the winter months and used fuel oil space heaters for warmth.
“The Friendly Inn” was purchased in 1968 by local islanders who are the founders of this boating club known as “The Crew’s Nest.”
A membership program began in 1970, along with a complete renovation of the structure. The doors opened to members in July of 1972.
Islander Mack McCann eventually took over ownership of The Crew’s Nest.
Continuing family tradition, Mack purchased ownership over to his daughter, Melinda Myers, who currently owns it today.